It is an era of globalization. Every company wants to enter a global business. When companies enter a global business, they come across diverse workforce who speak different languages and are from different cultures and back grounds. They have different business preferences and different code of conduct. These differences create a great pressure on management who than needs to develop new processes and strategies for developing and localization.
Globalization has led into a great number of immigrants and expatriates. The problem in dealing with these international employees is that they don’t speak universal language. In Europe, 230 living languages are being spoken, 41 of these languages are recognized by different governing bodies and 20 of them are authorized by the European Union. Furthermore there are 2000 languages which are spoken in Africa. Complexities of different language is no more less in Asia. For example there are 23 official languages in India and in China seven different dialects and many regional dialects are spoken. To enhance workforce connections, minimize global turnover and to increase efficiency of global workforce. Localized and globally consistent employee training is important. Language is only one hurdle to retention and managing a global workforce. To improve workforce management, reduce global turnover and increase efficiency of organization requires localized and global employee training. It will increase the productivity of entire organization. International companies face many problems when training a global workforce. A strategic localization program includes customized message delivery, communication across boarders and cultural sensitivity.
Global Training for Business
Global business is no longer a footnote on an income statement. According to fortune 500 companies list 42 percent of their revenues and more than 50 percent of their profits came from global business. When we talk about 10 or 20 or more countries, things become more complicated. Recruiting and retaining employees, training and development, compensation and management can be used to manage a global workforce. Let’s think the value of local sales force who sell new products with new feathers with same consistency. This is known as ROI metrics for training and the objectives of your global business is the same as those for local business. For achieving your business objectives with zeal and confidence, It requires that you provide your multicultural audience same ease and comfort which you provided to your local teams. If you develop the consistent strategy for developing, localizing the workforce, you will see improvement in several key areas:
1) Connection with workforce: Immigrants and expatriates will have a clear understanding of their objective, mission and vision and they will easily understand their role in reaching those objectives.
2) Reduced Global Turnover: If the employees get proper training, they will stay for the longer time in your organization. 3) Increase in efficiency: Training increases the efficiency of employees depending upon the type of work. Many organizations are aware of top and bottom line improvements so that they can enhance the efficiency of their business. You need a proper planning to create a material for other countries. It will minimize the costs. It may cause some hurdles to deliver same training to international audience.For this design criteria is needed so that the time and cost is minimized in localization efforts.
There are variety of languages which are used in your company but if you make your training available in native language, it will drastically improve the employee engagement and retention. This is for the trainer who speaks the language used in training materials. On the contrary if the trainer only speaks English, the training will be further enhanced by making the course material and exercises available in the local language. Language is only one aspect in overall program that must be taken into account while introducing course on a global scale.
Images and Graphics: Powerful images and graphics are not universal. The message which they wanted to convey are known by the social context of the local audience. For example, Sport graphics and images are highly regional and sometimes message they wanted to convey are lost. Especially outside the United States.
Way of Working: Every region has different code of working for example in United States, people focuses on problem sharing and problem solving from top level to down. On the contrary, In India people are more conscious about hierarchical fashion. Employee at the manager level feel difficulty in contacting his senior for problem resolution. Two peers will come with their ideas to a manager instead of working on their problem mutually. This shows joint training session is not suitable in India.If you understand different working styles of the organization and cultures, this will help you plan your training modules which are cross-cultured.
- Analogies, metaphors and anecdotes used be used in cultural regional and historical context.
- Examples and testimonials should be in according to local context.
- Assessments and tests should be taken according to culture as in some cultures multichoice questions is a common practice and in some cultures this method creates confusion.
- Web architect of the course must be analyzed to ensure seamless global execution.
Learning leaders can help to solve these minute problems and through global training they can work on leadership development and to implement localized learning efforts that can pave a global path
Most of the localization issues can be solved by comprehensive localization strategy. Sometimes with the cost which is associated with deconstructing and re-assembling the course and delivery of the training in various languages is forbidden so companies need to make choices with option of translating the content or people need to live with images. Some people are of the view that adopting the broader prospect while designing the training course will result in low expense and will ensure a seamless culturally regionally and locally aligned global program. Companies should follow some points for managing a global workforce with localization.
- Engaging of localization vendor.
- Knowing the requirements and expectations of local market.
- Admitting that complexities should increase cost and time in localization process.
- Avoiding use of sports, religion and culture references and analogies.
When your business expands you must be thinking how to manage your global workforce and how to sustain your global business growth in competitive market. An effective business translation strategy and training module will help you manage global workforce with localization.
Alex Marsh says
Localisation is very powerful and a very effective strategy. Localisation can help you reach out to international market. Thanks for sharing.
The key to surviving and thriving in a global businesses environment is localisation. The localisation of internal processes, training and service delivery is what every business planning to go global must take into account.